Wednesday, January 03, 2007

By the Numbers

Some significant numbers recorded already in 2007:

9 - total height, in inches, of Shack.

12 - average depth of snow in Lake Chelan, Washington, where we spent December 24 - 28. It was quite a sight, let me tell you.

4 - average adult weight, in pounds, of the tiny little dog -- a miniature Yorkie -- some mom I don't know brought to school today. Its name was "Stanley."

6 - the total number of police vehicles seen in Glen Park today. 4 this morning, parking at odd angles in front of the BART station. The Jawa and I saw them while driving to school. 2 more this afternoon, in front of the high-end grocery store, which destroys my earlier theory about the gang-bangers on Arlington Street never shopping at Canyon Market. Two guys in handcuffs.

8 - number of seconds that passed before the Jawa commented, "Did someone get shot?" And speaking of which...

3 - total shooting incidents in Glen Park since October. Only two made the papers, but since we saw the cops digging shell casings out of the telephone poles in front of La Corneta, I'll call that one a fact as well.

499,000 - asking price of the 600 square-foot, one bedroom fixer for sale on our block. According to the sign out front, its sale is "pending."

7 - loads of laundry I have completed since yesterday morning. Sure, I'm tired, but it's a good kind of tired; the kind of tired you get when you know you've accomplished something of true substance.

7 - estimated total weight, in pounds, gained by me during the time period of December 23 - January 2. One for each load of laundry.

470 - cost, in U.S. dollars, of the perscription sunglasses waiting for me at the glasses store on 24th Street. For some reason, I had to spend an outrageous amount of money on something medically-related before December 31, so I obliged. Ironic that it's sunglasses, isn't it?

20/300 - my vision. Better make sure I've got the right sunglasses before leaving the house, don't you think?

50 - cost, in U.S. dollars, of the AT-AT walker the Shaman had proposed to trade to the Jawa in exchange for a number of other Star Wars miniatures. The trade was vetoed by the Hammer.

80 - number of holiday cards sent by us in 2006.

27 - number of holiday cards received by us as of January 3, 2007.

59 - temperature, in degrees farenheit, of our home this morning at 7 a.m.

70 - temperature, in degrees farenheit, of the maximum thermostat setting I will allow in my home.

72 - temperature, in degrees farenheit, that the Jawa and Sandra Bullock push the thermostat to when they think I'm not looking.

37 - total number of minutes required to read one issue of Entertainment Weekly, which arrives each Friday in our home.

65 - percent, in words, of each issue of The New Yorker that I actually read, which takes far longer than reading Entertainment Weekly cover-to-cover.

0 - number of times S. Bullock has shown interest in anything having to do with any issue of The New Yorker or the contents within.

480 - amount of credit card purchase those dirtbags who found my wallet attempted to spend at Stater Brothers the next day. Funny thing is, they had my Safeway club card in there; if they'd gone to Safeway they could have gotten much better deals.

100 - percent change in the condition of the Diamond Heights Safeway between yesterday and today. And still, no fruit trays.

77 - average age of Safeway patron, be it January 2 or January 3.

52 - height, in inches, you must be to ride something the Jawa was referring to as "class B" rides at Legoland. He mentioned this after asking how tall he was, expressing great relief at my answer of 54 inches.

10,000 - estimated number of Legos presently owned by my child.

26 - why do we still have all of these boxes when the Legos that came in them are no longer in them?

433 - ditto the instruction manuals.

1/8 - length, in inches, of the Lego he would like me to find. It is gray.

50 - number of Legos Shack would consume each day, given half the chance.

60 - degree slope of our backyard. We would someday like to put a deck up there, but presently, ours is the only backyard I've ever seen that you can actually fall off of.

5 - number of times I had to tell the Jawa to do his spelling before he actually responded.

10 - number of Star Wars miniatures you can receive in trade for 5 figures, if you are a savvy trader and one of the figures you trade is Jango Fett.

1 - person in the world who thinks "Jango Fett" should be spelled with a silent "D." That would be me, by the way.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you get desperate, we've got plenty of gray legos to spare.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We to have plenty lego to spare. Next time Jawa is here he can scrounge for gray ones. I am still hopeful that the X Wing Fighter will someday be reborn.

Our thermostat never goes above 65. I hand everyone a down throw and they get over it, we have acclimated! We are currently hovering at 63 degrees downstairs.

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See? Zingal has the right idea on home temp. Ours never goes above 68; we believe strongly in sweaters, blankets and not giving PG&E an extra dime. Sure, make me look bad about vetoing the trade - there were life lessons involved. I'm sure you have waaaaaay more than 10,000 Lego pieces; I'm also sure that we have the piece you seek. You need to shop at a different Safeway if you're looking for a younger crowd - I hear that the Marina Safeway is a real singles place (with a 24 Hr Fitness across the street). Put a homing device on the sunglasses - any glasses with that high a price tag will surely be lost or broken soon - it's directly proportional to the price.

It's only Jan 4 - stop counting now. I have - I'll be interviewing dozens of staff candidates. It's too many to fathom.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Bud said...

if it's cold we turn up the heat until it's warm enough, if it's warm we turn down the air until it's cool enough.

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NOBODY in your house ever puts the thermostat up above 60 degrees. S.B. lies. In my mouse infested, lead-painted, asbestos coated house that Uncle Sam charges us $2300 a month to live in, I turn the thermostat up to 80 sometimes....just because I can.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home