Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I Don't Smoke, Don't Ask Me

Yesterday, while running down the list of things I don't do, I mentioned that I do not, nor have I ever, smoked cigarettes. It's not that I'm a major no-smoking advocate, though I have to admit I find it nicer when they're not around. I just was never able to pick up the habit. Not my vice, I tell people who ask. Now that I think of it, there are few, if any, who ask.

My parents both smoked. Mom polished off her last butt on her way to the hospital, where she would learn that those debilitating chest pains she'd been having were, indeed, consistent with the experience of a 50-year-old woman who weighs 97 pounds but is having a heart attack. Dad followed a few years later, in support of Mom, through the mighty efforts of The Patch. Now they live in Arizona, where the air is always free of moisture. They are smoke-free, have been for several years.

Oh, but during the glory days of smoking, did they burn. Not only them, but both my sisters. Even Noodles' Mom, known now for her complete and total commitment to physical fitness, was known to light up on occasion. Marsi and/or Bud, of course, being a disaffected suburban youth, picked up the habit at 13, I think, much like her mother 30 some years before. Lucky Strike straights, if I remember right.

I also remember one night, having dinner with my family at Marie Callendar's, then shoving my chair as far back from the table as possible afterwards when all four of them sparked up for a relaxing after-dinner smoke.

Smoke was a fact of life.

When we were kids, we would drive from Orange County to Sacramento to see my grandparents. Someone was always smoking. "Please," we'd gasp, from the back seat, "open a window!"

"The air in this car changes every 60 seconds," my father would say, and since it was quite obvious to us by now that he knew way more than we did, about everything, we let it go. We sat in silence, choking on cigarette smoke. It wasn't until my freshman year of college that I realized what smoke-free air smelled like.

And still, I hold no grudge against cigarettes. In fact, though I am made dizzy by efforts to figure out EXACTLY WHICH subculture claims smoking as its own -- cool teenagers? trashy middle-aged bowlers? musicians? my father-in-law? - I still find smoking kind of cool.

When I moved to Seattle, in 1988, I found that everyone I knew suddenly smoked. Well, they didn't smoke, like my dad, leaving the cigarette burning up in an ashtray while they focused on a model airplane. Their cigarettes were much more of a prop, a schoolboy affectation. They smoked European brands, available in Canada and at tobacco shops in Seattle. Sometimes they rolled their own, something I'd seen field hands do in Australia.

And they only smoked two or three a day, usually at night when we were in bars. They could smoke away at night, then wake up the next morning and run full-court for hours. No problem. It seemed somehow sophisticated, and I was disappointed to find that my few lame efforts at joining them in no way made me a smoker. I just couldn't do it.

One time, alone in New York at age 23, feeling somewhat short on style, I went up to a bartender at 3:00 in the morning and asked for a pack of Marlboros. That was the only brand I knew. "Sorry, man, but I can lend you one," he said. "Thanks," I mumbled. He gave me one. I lit it and then wondered what to do. But it was cool to have it there while walking alone to the subway at 3:00 in the morning. Nobody messed with me. I know that much.

All the girls I dated back then smoked, too. Not habitually, but in bars. In fact, Sandra Bullock is the only girl I've "dated" who never smokes. My first girlfriend, the ex-Mormon, is now a smoker, and, of course, trying to quit.

Even the Rocket Scientist, until a few years ago, smoked. This guy is so clean-cut he basically bathes in apple pie each morning and still. Must have been a military thing. Sadly, he was perhaps the only person I've ever known who did not look cooler while smoking. He looked like a 10-year-old trying to look cool, which is ironic, because if there's one thing the Rocket Scientist has never done in his life, it's try to look cool.

Time passed, and many of the casual smokers I knew became habitual smokers. The Legendary Dr. Bandeau turned into a guy who lit a cigarette after meals, and in the morning, after shaving. His car, by now a Dodge truck, began to smell like a man's car: smoke, cologne and tools.

Amazingly, we have all but legislated cigarette smoking out of existence. Even more amazingly, high school kids continue to smoke. Smoking was a big deal at Blanchet High School, where I taught from 1996-1998. I didn't get it, but I also felt we had more important ways to spend our time than to police teenage cigarette smokers and besides, we were giving them free promos of Coke's new extra-caffeine cola after school. I mean, why single out one vice and promote the other?

I wonder what's become of those teens. How many of them now smoke like hod carriers? And what of the parallel worlds of smoking -- the downtown hipsters and the rural cowboys? If they found themselves in the same room (a laundromat? the grocery store?), jonesing for a smoke, would one approach the other and ask to bum a cig? Smoking (and being a carbon-based life form) is the only thing they have in common.

And they all want to quit. Except my little sister, who never wanted to quit and did.

My dad always said he was going to start again if he made it to 70. Well, he'll be 69 this year, but he just got out of the hospital after having lung surgery, so I doubt he'll make good on that promise, which is just as well. As good a prop as a cigarette is, and as cool as it looks, I am learning that addictive vices just don't wear that well as you get older.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, tiffany jewelry, nike roshe run, louboutin pas cher, tiffany and co, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, nike free, louboutin outlet, prada outlet, christian louboutin outlet, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, jordan shoes, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, longchamp pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, polo ralph lauren outlet, uggs on sale, air max, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors, louis vuitton, prada handbags, longchamp, nike free, chanel handbags, sac longchamp, burberry, louis vuitton, nike air max, gucci outlet, nike outlet, louboutin, ugg boots, nike air max, replica watches, air jordan pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses

5:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

moncler, moncler outlet, links of london, bottes ugg, moncler, moncler, doudoune canada goose, sac louis vuitton pas cher, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, moncler, pandora charms, pandora charms, replica watches, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, lancel, canada goose, louis vuitton, ugg boots uk, swarovski, louis vuitton, canada goose uk, wedding dresses, moncler, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, hollister, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, montre pas cher, canada goose, moncler, karen millen, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, marc jacobs, thomas sabo, coach outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose outlet

5:38 PM  
Blogger انجين محمد said...

شركة تنظيف المنازل في دبي
شركة تنظيف المنازل في دبي شركة عريقة في مجال الخدمات المنزلية والشخصية، حيث تعد عملية البحث درجة التنظيف الجيدة في المنازل من الأمور التي تحتاج إلى مزيد من الجهد خاصة مع اتساع المنازل وزيادة مكوناتها في العصر الحاضر بشكل كبير ومن أهم الأسباب التي تستدعي تدخل شركة تنظيف منازل في دبي ، كما أن المتاعب التي تنتج عن القيام بهذا العمل بصورة اعتيادية وبشكل غير احترافي كثيرة جدا ولا تصل في النهاية إلى النتيجة المطلوبة، ولم يعد هناك وقت كبير للسيدات والعاملات للتنظيف المستمر، والحاجة إلينا ضرورة لأننا نمتلك التخصص والمهارة والقدرة على الانجاز، كما نمتلك الكثير من العروض التي تهمكم وتلبي كل احتياجاتكم
شركة تنظيف المنازل في ابو ظبي
شركة تنظيف منازل في ابوظبي الشركة الأولى في مجال تنظيف البيوت والقصور والمكاتب والشقق السكنية والمقرات الإدارية والعيادات الخاصة والمستشفيات، كما نقدم خدمات تنظيف شامل للفنادق والقرى السياحية والمنتجعات المختلفة.
في شركة تنظيف المنازل في أبو ظبي أعلى درجات الإتقان، فلدينا فريق من العمال المهرة والمتخصصين في أعمال تنظيف البيوت والقصور والمنازل بكل أحجامها، كما أننا نقدم خدماتنا بصورة فروية وبمجرد الاتصال على أرقامنا، كما نقدم خدماتنا بالاستعانة بأفضل الأدوات التي تنظف الأسطح المختلفة والأرضيات والحوائط والجدران، فيمكنك لاعتماد علينا في حالة التفكير في الوصول إلى درجة التنظيف المناسب لمنزلك ومكتبك وشركتك.
شركة تنظيف المنازل في الشارقة
في شركة تنظيف منازل في الشارقة الخدمات الشاملة والقدرات العظيمة فالوصول إلى المستوى المطلوب لا يتحقق إلا إذا كانت لديك أكبر قدرة على تقديم المختلف، ونحن نقدم العمل الفريد في سرعة كبيرة وبأسعار متميزة فلدينا:
- فريق متخصص من العمالة الأجنبية من العاملين والعاملات وكلهم يمتازون بالمهارة الفائقة والخبرة الكبيرة.
- الثقة الكبيرة في خدماتنا جعلتننا الشركة الأولى في منطقة أبو ظبي والإمارات كلها.
- أعلى مستوى من التنظيف باستخدام أفضل المواد المنظفة من أكبر الشركات والماركات العالمية .
- الاعتماد على التكنولوجيا المتقدمة للغاية في عمليات التنظيف.
- تقديم عروض متميزة بأسعار مناسبة للجميع مع وجود تخفيضات كبيرة للمجمعات والجهات الحكومية والفنادق.
شركة تنظيف المنازل في عجمان
في حالة التفكير في الحصول على أعلى مستوى من الجودة في تنظيف المنازل والشقق السكنية والفلل والقصور والبيوت الكبيرة والفنادق كل ما يلزمكم الاتصال علينا عبر أرقام هواتفنا أو طلب الخدمة عبر موقعنا الالكتروني في شركة تنظيف منازل في عجمان ، فلدينا أفضل الوسائل التي تعينكم على الحصول على درجات التنظيف المثالية، فمما لا شك فيه أن التنظيف المستمر أمر شاق ومتعب ولا يمكن أن تصلوا إلى الدرجة التي تشهدونها في الأماكن الكبيرة والمشهورة، ويرجع ذلك لأن تلك الأماكن تستعين بشركات تنظيف المنازل ومنها أفضل شركات تنظيف المنازل في عجمان.
شركة تنظيف المنازل في العين
عندما تبحثون عن المثالية في تنظيف المنازل والشقق والبيوت والقصور يمكنكم الاعتماد علينا في شركة تنظيف منازل في العين ، من أجل الحصول على أعلى مستوى من الخدمة المتميزة نحن نمتلك الخبرة الكبيرة والتنظيف المثالي، فما نقدمه من عمل يقوم على أسس الاحترافية ومنها:
- لدينا فريق متخصص في أعمال التنظيف وفريق من المشرفين
- خطوات التنظيف لدينا تتم وفق خطة مدروسة تضمن لها النجاح المستمر
- نعتمد على أفضل أنواع المنظفات والمطهرات العالمية و لدينا أدوات التنظيف الحديثة.
- لدينا تكنولوجيا التنظيف بالبخار والتنظيف الكيماوي للقضاء على البكتريا والجراثيم.
- الأسعار التي نقدمها لن تجدوها في مكان أخر.
اتصل بنا وتمتع بخدمات تنظيف لا حصر لها.
https://emiratesclean.com

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home