Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Welcome, for Real

Now I go public.

At the unceasing urging of at least 3 people, I now have my own blog. I've already cranked out a few entries as a warm-up, but now that I've alerted the press, here's an idea of what to expect from me:

- A constant, almost annoying obsession with the arcane.
- Fawning descriptions of my child's daily activities.
- Awe-struck considerations of my wife's daily activites, including her supernatural organizational skills and laser-like focus on practical tasks at hand
- Seemingly unending references toward Judaism and Brandeis Hillel Day School
- Slightly confused comments regarding the San Francisco housing market and Zephyr Real Estate (my "employers." actually, given that they don't pay me a salary and in fact, serve mainly as support for my real estate efforts, they function more as "enablers" than "employers."
- The occasional foray into local, national and international political comment. Hardly ever informed.
- Shockingly deep knowledge of sports, for a geek like me.
- Irritating rants directed at hippies and their subsequent sell-outs and hypocritical ways. If you are a former, present or future hippie, don't say you weren't warned.
- Again, a constant, annoying obsession with the arcane.
- Nearly as annoying encyclopedic knowledge of pop culture.
- Very little of intrinsic value.

This all being said, I now absolve myself of responsiblity for ticking anyone off, boring anyone, making obscure references without explaining them, trying and failing to be funny, and pumping up my wife and child to the point where you are certain that I live in a dream world.

So lets start.

Here's to Chaim Heller, former interim Head of School at Brandeis Hillel Day School, whose italicized impermenance was finally removed today by the selection committee. Like many at the school, I am a card-carrying member of the Cult of Chaim, easily recognizable by my WWCD wristband. I like the goatee, the vest, the kepa, the sports knowledge, the overall calm demeanor and the unassailable ethics, the whole deal. Thank you, Board of Trustees, for making the correct choice. Now I don't have to wrack my brain to come up with an appropriate protest.

Now everyone call me up and buy houses.

Today I am working from home, which, in my various professions, means I am sitting in front of the TV with a computer on my lap. My feet are falling asleep, but otherwise I see very few drawbacks to this arrangement. I have been sending emails, calling people, creating powerpoint presentations, all while the 1983 movie "Private School" plays in the background. Why "Private School?" After all, Comcast on-demand gives me a practically bottomless well of movie choices. I almost went for "Crash," the recent study of race relations that earned Matt Dillon a Golden Globe nomination, but in the end, I chose movie comfort food. Phoebe Cates, Matthew Modine, the inimitable Betsy Russell, and of course, Ray Walston's unforgettable portrayal of Chauncey, the limo driver. Such hijinx!

Anyone got any ideas for a Valentine's Day restaurant that is okay for kids? As a family of only 3, we tend to do that one as a celebration of all of us. After all, we are only possible as a whole unit. Take one of us away and the whole thing falls apart.

Again, welcome.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so thrilled your back!!! I've missed your blog!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Butter Goats said...

Since I've only had one comment on mine in the last two years I figured I should at least say "hi" on yours. So, "HI".


ps - its the guy with the robots

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lefty
Your blog is the first I've ever read. I was under the impression that a blog was no more than idealogical political misinformation. I look forward to more confrontation and road rage stories. I suspect I know the guy with robots...Not sure though

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home